Saturday, July 02, 2011

Blue Pencilling the Creed

From a comment in the Lead:
Today, in a class that explores our faith and our ministries, I gave the class a copy of the Nicene Creed and a pencil. The directions for the exercise: draw a line through any part of this creed you do not believe. Not a single person failed to strike out about a third to half. One left only, I believe in God, I believe in Jesus, and I believe in the Holy Spirit. The composition of the group: a retired professor of theology and church history, 2 clergy, 4 Episcopalians, 2 ELCA Lutherans, 1 Presbyterian. The simple fact is, that on any given Sunday, if you asked a congregation how many present believe the entire Nicene Creed as it is written, my best estimate is fewer than 25% would say so.
I really think that a deacon should not be encouraging people to strike out portions of the creed; or at least, if he do so, then he ought to be challenging them as to why they think they feel entitled to reject them. Well, since he's in another diocese and a deacon to boot, I don't suppose I have to worry about refusing communion with him.

1 comment:

Rick+ said...

Reading the blogosphere is bound to make any Christian depressed and cranky at best, if not full of despair. Wouldn't it better to just shake the dust off your sandals?

Here's what I've done so today:

First I spent an hour reading from Mere Christianity by CS Lewis.

Next I went up to the 12th floor to look out over the Zagros mountains, past which Abram journeyed from Ur, to read aloud from The Cloud of Unknowing by an anonymous monk.

Afterward I had some lunch while listening to a fascinating 1 1/2 hour discussion of Jesus by NT Wright -- and remembered all over again how amazing Jesus is.

Then I read the propers for today, and agreed that taking the yoke of Jesus does give rest to my soul.

Then I sang hymns (accompanied by guitar) until my finger tips hurt too much to play any more.

So then I took a nap.

Maybe I'm sticking my head in the sand by refusing to read the blogosphere. On the other hand, I've got to say, 'ignorance is bliss.' :)