Thursday, January 31, 2013

A Bit Over the Top, My Most Reverend Ma'am

I had heard that the presiding bishop had said something typically foolish in her sermon at the reconvened ECUSA diocese of/in South Carolina, but with my usual reluctance to have to parse her pronouncements, I hadn't actually seen what she said. Well, OK: after being poked enough about it I finally made myself read the official transcript. Ho boy. Is there some place on the globe where comparing one's opponents to "citizens’ militias deciding to patrol their towns or the Mexican border for unwelcome visitors" and ascribing to them something akin to "the state of mind evidenced in school shootings, or in those who want to arm school children, or the terrorism that takes oil workers hostage" is not hugely inflammatory?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

This isn't quite the first time a PB has taken a thinly veiled swipe at their theological adversaries in an address, but it does outdo Edmund Brownings parting speech by a long shot("Instead, we have been diverted by fear, and, let me name it, by hate") (http://www.episcopalarchives.org/cgi-bin/ENS/ENSpress_release.pl?pr_number=97-1920)

Such a sermon is worthy of Air America maybe (or whatever has replaced left wing talk radio).

Steve